Sunday, November 10, 2013

THE SCARLET LETTER -- Chapters 1-4 (pgs 45-74)


http://www.mbird.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sam-gross-why-can-t-you-be-more-like-little-hester-prynne-she-s-getting-straight-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Chapters 1-4 (pgs 45-74)

Chapter 1 - The Prison Door
**I didn't really feel that this chapter was too relevant to the story just for the fact that it's waaay too descriptive. It talks too much about the background and I don't think it was all that necessary. I know the reader needs to get introduced in some way, but I think good writers are able to do this without boring the reader. In all honesty I skimmed most of the page. I did, however, pay attention to the rosebush. I feel like it's something really symbolic and it even says so in the book.**

- Scene set up
- Rosebush = symbol
"It may serve, let us hope, to symbolize some sweet moral blossom that may be found along the track, or relieve the darkening close of a tale of human frailty and sorrow." -p46
Chapter 2 - The Market Place
**I was really excited when we finally got around to meeting Hester. Prior to her appearance, when the gossips are talking, I expected to see a really disgusting and sinful girl. I began to think Hester would be a snooty brat or maybe a really timid and scared girl. Yet, when she is revealed she's really beautiful and strong. She walks up to meet them and she doesn't show she's afraid. She doesn't even give them the satisfaction of seeing her looking guilty and scared. I really admired that. She literally smiled in the face of adversity. I can tell I'm probably going to like her character because she seems really tough (I mean come on she's young, had an illegitimate child, and has nobody defending her; you can't go through that without being badass). I also felt a lot of compassion for her when she was alone on the scaffold. I know the times were different and this might actually have been considered "light" punishment, but you can't help to feel bad. She has to already feel guilt and shame over the whole issue, but to have it thrown in your face and mocked has to be terrible and terrifying. **

- Meet HESTER PRYNNE and her illegitimate child.
- HESTER: young and beautiful coming out of jail with her baby in her arms and an embroidered scarlet "A" on her bosom.
"...With a burning blush, and yet a haughty smile, and a glance that would not be abashed, looked around at her townspeople and neighbors." -p51
 WHO IS HESTER?
- Young woman, tall, dark and glossy hair, pretty face, deep black eyes, dignified, mother

-Sent up to scaffold in the marketplace = punishment
- Ignominy: disgrace; dishonor; public contempt

Chapter 3 
** When I first saw the stranger with the Indian I automatically assumed one of them was probably the father. When they began to talk more about the stranger I thought he had to be, especially with the way him and Hester looked at each other. But, from the way they described his reaction towards seeing her - horror and a powerful emotion - I knew he wasn't. I was really curious about him. When they switch to questioning Hester I decided I had a love/hate for Dimmesdale. In the beginning of the story, when the gossips talk about him, they say he is really grievous over the whole scandal to have happened in his congregation. I assumed he might be a jerk when he made his whole speech on trying to make her fess the name. Yet, I couldn't help but be glad when he didn't press her after she said no again. They seem to have some connection because Rev. Wilson asked him to talk to her, that he knew her better. I feel he might be her only ally in all this. **

- Meet ROGER CHILLINGWORTH- first appearance -- seen only as a stranger (no name yet)
- described as:
      ~ a white man dressed in civilized and savage costume
      ~ small in stature
      ~ one shoulder higher than the other - slight deformity
      ~ intelligent
-Hester reacts to his appearance - her face visibly paling -- is she worried or afraid?
- He gestures for her to keep quiet about him
- All we know is that she knows and recognizes him
- Hester will not name the father of her child
- MEET:
      ~ GOVERNOR BELLINGHAM
      ~ REVEREND WILSON
      ~ REVEREND DIMMESDALE: young minister appointed to demand Hester reveal the name of the child's father
"Be silent not from any mistaken pity and tenderness for him: for believe me, Hester, though he were to step down from a high place, and stand there beside the on thy pedestal of shame, yet better were it so, than to hide a guilty heart through life." -p65
- She still refuses to reveal the name
- Dimmesdale doesn't argue her this time
- SCARLET LETTER: seen now as a "symbol"; brings new terrors; scarlet hue = flames of the infernal pit

Chapter 4  
** When they went back to prison I actually thought it was a good thing. The townspeople weren't able to get to Hester and the child now. I was really excited when we saw the stranger again. I wasn't overtly shocked when we found out he was her husband, but I was when I saw the way he reacted to her transgression. At first he is actually kind to the baby! The baby! I don't know, if I saw my wife after a couple years with someone else's child I wouldn't be so keen on being nice to either of them. Yet, here he is tending to them both. He goes on to say he doesn't plan on hurting either of them. Again, I'm shocked. I think his wisdom really showed when he said they had both wronged each other. He knows that she is not the only one to blame for this situation and I like that he took responsibility for his role in it. He does, however, plan on getting his revenge on the father. As a man with some pride, his feelings are justified in my eyes. This reaction isn't that shocking. I did find interesting the way he described his revenge. I'm sure his revenge is going to be interesting.**

- Hester and the baby are back in jail and seen by a physician - the stranger  
- Stranger = her husband returned to her from his trip - not the child's father
- He gives her something to drink, but she doesn't drink it at first = does not trust him
- Assures her he wants her to live
- Married = she does not love him
"Thou knowest that I was frank with thee. I felt no love, nor feigned any." -p72
- He says it is in part his fault to think he, a misshapen bookworm, could keep a young and beautiful woman like her happy.
- They wronged each other
- They are even and he does not seek revenge on her, but on the man who is the child's father
- She will not tell him - plans to find him by looking for some type of sympathy within him
"Thy acts are like mercy, but thy words interpret thee as a terror." (Hester speaking of Chillingworth's intentions) -p73
- Makes her promise not to reveal who he is - not a soul
"Why dost thou smile so at me? Are thou like the Black Man that haunts the forest round about us? Hast thou enticed me into a bond that will prove the ruin of my soul?" -p74
-Prophesying? Foreshadowing?
- BLACK MAN: Devi? evil?


9 comments:

  1. I completely agree that the first chapter was completely unneccesary and wordy. I thought that the author was somewhat trying to set the tone of the story by describing the prison, but it was way too wordy. I thought the way Hester came out in the book really represents how she's going to be throughout the entire story. I'm excited to see what happens later on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you bullet your different ideas within each chapter, I think I might steal your idea for my next post! I agree with a lot of your ideas, especially the ones from chapter four. I hate to say it but this revenge on the father business might be interesting… Not that revenge is good or that I condone it! And I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ERRMAHHGERDDD this post was allll that plus tax!!! You did a really good job on the whole post. And I to agree with you on about everything O.O THIS CANT BE HAPPENING!!!!! The first part was so dull and depressing, while the rest was a lot better. I really do admire her attitude of being a "badass" as you said hahaha. Good analyzing of body language especially between her and that chill guy B-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with basically everything you wrote in your post. To me as well, I thought the first chapter really had no purpose except the rosebush. You gave a great description of Hester. I was surprised to see that she was prettier then the other girls in the town. I also agree with Lauren on the way you added bullet points in your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with the boringness of the 1st chapter. The rosebush I agree was really the only symbolism, but I dont get why the author would write just page about a towns prison with rosebush when he could have like informed the rosebush to the reader in the second chapter when Hester walks out of prison. I really liked how you had each chapter with the symbolism you found and description of characters. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabby, I LOVE your blog! I love the cartoon and the way your notes are arranged. You are making some great personal connections to the literature. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the layout of your post. It's very organized, which makes it easier for readers to understand what you're talking about. For the most part, I agree with almost everything. You also brought up a lot of points that I didn't even consider, which is good. You did a great job, Gabby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is organized nicely. It's easy to read through. I don't think that the first chapter was unnecessary as it puts in perspective the type of people who established the town, to second what Ms. Watkin's stated in class. The wordiness is a reflection of the period of time in which the author was writing in. I'm going to reread chapter 4 and comment on what you said here.

    ReplyDelete