Friday, November 29, 2013

SCARLET LETTER CHAPTER 17-18 (pgs 185-202)



Scarlet Letter Chapter 17 – 18(pgs 185-202)

***I feel these chapters were the best I’ve read in the book. Or rather my favorites. (: We finally (FINALLY!) got to see Hester and Dimmesdale together alone and we really saw how much feeling they carry for one another still. They see there sin still, yet I don’t believe they are sorry they were together. They’re hopeless romantics in a way.  I also feel like this is it! This is the climax of it all! One way or another things are going to change from here on out (for better, or worse). I really loved the setting too it created the perfect mood for all of the changes (the solid certainty of the earth and forest during a moment of change near a brook—ever moving and changing). ***

CHAPTER 17 – THE PASTOR AND HIS PARISHONER
-          Hester and Dimmesdale  meet near the brook – away from the world and Chillingworth
-          Have a conversation about their lives and Hester reveals Chillingworth as her husband
-          Dimmesdale condemns Hester and blames her for his suffering
-          Distressed, Hester clutches him to her chest and begs forgiveness – eventually he forgives her
-          Minister worries that Chillingworth is still seeking out his revenge
-          Hester tells him he can’t live with him anymore, but Dimmesdale sees no other choice
-          She gives him a pep- talk (emboldens him) and tells him they should leave – together

CHAPTER 18 – A FLOOD OF SUNSHINE
-          Dimmesdale is hopeful  - sees Hester as different
-          Decides to leave with Hester

“The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, —stern and wild ones, —and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.” –p196
-          Old Hester comes back! – takes off her “A” and lets her hair down
                ~once again beautiful
                ~smiles
                ~youthful - free
-          The stigma of the “A” is gone!
-          The sun shines on them
-          Hester tells him he must meet Pearl officially as father to daughter
-          Dimmesdale is worried she might not like him
-          They call Pearl over

4 comments:

  1. Once again I'm impressed with the note style. Nice description and analysis. Funny though how Dimmesdale worried Pearl wouldn't like her, like of course he should be worried since he practically ignored Pearl and Hester in public

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found these chapters to be pretty boring, (I thought they droned on more than was necessary, but that was with the rest of the book as well so I guess I can't really complain) but I'm glad that you liked them! Your journal style would make me envious if I thought that doing it like that didn't take more effort than I would ever care to exert at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my favorite chapters also!!! I don't want to give away the rest of the book in this comment in case you read it before the rest of the book but these chapters basically get you excited for nothing. Sorry to say it. This book is exactly like Romeo and Juliet, it gets your hopes up and then pulls them out from under you. I was not impressed with the ending. But like I said I LOVED THESE CHAPTERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think Hester could have kept the letter off at this point? Would she have known her place in that society without it? Good comments.

    ReplyDelete